Frost Giant Mage Deck
It is doing pretty well against the current meta, and it doesn’t have a particularly one-sided matchup as it goes favourable against most decks. Let us take a look at the matchups against the current meta.
- Miracle Rogue – You only really lose this one if you don’t draw Ice Block. Miracle Rogue is popular once again, and really can’t do anything to stop you. Your immediate Mountain Giants threaten them early on; often leaving them no choice but to Sap it (and have it replayed for even less). They only have Earthen Ring for healing, and there’s no way it can out-heal your spell damage.
- Handlock – You both have giants. You can play yours just as fast as he can play his. Except you have better answers and can even freeze stall him. You won’t usually win with your Giants because of all their taunts. However, you just need enough time to burn him with spells. With your load of freeze spells you can halt his only threats. Just be wary of the Leeroy Jenkins + Power Overwhelming + Faceless Manipulator combo. Ice Block is pretty much a must.
- Token Druid – So long as you draw your board clear spells at the right time, you’re in good shape. Blizzard wrecks your opponent, and an early Mountain Giant is really hard for him to deal with. Just don’t get wombo combo’d by his Force of Nature/Savage Roar. Also watch out for his chargers.
- Aggro Mage – Aggro Mage is really draw dependant. If you have Frostbolt and/or Doomsayer early it will really help. If you don’t get your early removal you will just flat out die. You’ll use your hero power a lot to ping his 1 health guys.. But you’ll need to react and do more soon before he kills you. Ice Block and Alexstrasza are extremely useful.
- Midrange Shaman – Similar to Token Druid in that you need your board clear spells; namely Blizzard. However, this is a more difficult matchup because Doomsayer is almost always useless. Also, it is much harder to deal with things like coined Unbound Elemental. Can be a difficult matchup if you don’t draw the right cards, especially since he can deal with your giants easier.
- Ramped Druid – Can be rough depending on their draw. If they get early Wild Growth or Innervate into something crazy it’s tough. Much less common than the Token version lately from what I’ve seen. This matchup is still definitely winnable. Giants are your friends.
- Zoo – Ah Zoo.. Zoo will always be that coin flip deck. It’s a tough match.. And if you win you’ll likely be nearly dead. Ice Block is very important as always. Doomguard is stupidly annoying, as is Argent Commander (depending on the list) or any charge for that matter. Multiple freeze spells while having tempo to drop a giant at the same time will be your goal. Either that, or survive long enough to burn him out with spells.
- Aggro Hunter – Been seeing the Face Hunters back around now on this final day of reaching Legend. Lots of traps and annoying things, so your Giants are useless on this one. You can’t afford to get hit by Misdirection since he’ll be hitting your face every turn. If he’s running Flare and you have Ice Block, you’ll lose if he destroys it. If you don’t draw Ice Block, you’ll likely lose. How do you win? Better draw all your spells and burn him out ASAP.
- Aggro Paladin – Divine shields and one mana buff cards. You’re going to die very very fast, and you have no way to stop him. You tend to hold a lot of cards in your hand so he’ll just refill with Divine Favor. It is winnable, but very difficult. Even Ice Block won’t always save you.
- Control Warrior – Very fortunately for me, there have been far less of these around lately. Control Warrior absolutely shuts down this deck. You have no ways to pressure him early. Your Mountain Giants are the only chance, and they’ll easily get Shield Slammed or Executed. Your board clear spells will just proc his Armorsmith even more.. You can’t afford to use your single target spells to kill his guys. You deal no early-mid game damage aside from that, and spells are your only other option. He’s going to be stacking armor all game and there’s nothing you can do about it. Even playing Alexstraza won’t help since he’ll have 20+ armor by that time anyways. Only chance of winning is by playing a Mountain Giant early, and hoping he can’t kill it. If he does, it’s over.
Frost Giant Mage Deck
- Ice Lance x 2
- Frostbolt x 2
- Arcane Intellect x 2
- Frost Nova x 2
- Ice Block x 2
- Cone of Cold
- Fireball x 2
- Blizzard x 2
- Archmage Antonidas